Monday, January 11, 2010

Dirty Rice w/ Smoked Sausage


I was watching Food Network last week and they were making dirty rice with smoked sausage. It looked really good and I have always wanted to try dirty rice. What better time to try it than now since I have to try a new recipe every month because of my NY Resolution #3 anyway. So I asked Sveinn to stop at the grocery store on his way home from work to pick up what I needed. However, I forgot to check my pantry for rice. I knew that the last time I made rice I had a couple of bags still, but I had forgotten that Babs had made rice awhile ago. First mistake.


So I go about sautéing the sausage and veggie mixture and things are smelling yummy! Then I go to make the rice and I find that I don't have nearly enough rice to feed this hungry family of 8 (-1 infant). Ugh! I do have brown rice and decide to make that instead. Not a good idea because I never make brown rice correctly. For some reason it always turns out pasty for me. This time was no exception. So 45 minutes later the brown rice is done and looking kind of gross. I mix in the sausage and veggies (minus the green peppers because my family hates green peppers) with the rice and viola, my dirty rice dish is complete.




I am looking at this dish and I realize that not only is the rice a big glop of starch, but their is not nearly enough sausage in it to feed this big family. I should have had Sveinn pick up two packages. Oh well. Everyone did try the dish and most of them liked it. Some of the kids liked it a lot! Unfortunately, I don't think I will be making it again. I might try it one more time to see if it is better with white rice maybe. We will see.

Anyway, I did fulfill my resolution #3 goal for the month. I made something I have never made before. So I will count it as a success overall. :)

BTW, everyone was STARVING for breakfast in the morning. ;)


Here is the recipe for anyone that might be interested.

1 Medium Onion
1 Green Pepper (I skipped the GP because my family doesn't like it)
1 Clove of Garlic
2 Stalks Celery
1 Package of Smoked Sausage (I used 1 package of Hillshire Farm and wished I would have used 2)
1 Tbs Oil (I used EVOO)
1 cup Chicken Stock plus enough Chicken Stock to Substitute for the Water in the Rice
2 cups Rice (I used 4 for my big Family, thus the reason I should have used more Sausage)


Slice the sausage and chop the onion, green pepper, garlic and celery. Sauté all five of these ingredients in 1 Tbs of oil until browned. Add 1 cup of chicken stock and simmer on low heat. Meanwhile prepare the rice according to the package directions eliminating any butter or salt and substituting chicken stock for water. Once rice is done cooking and the liquid is gone from the meat and veggies, mix all items together and serve.

Bon Appetit!
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment